Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Sunday, April 8, 2012

Going into camp

With only 6 days to go until some of my good friends attempt their first 50KM road race, most of us have gone our separate ways over this Easter break and largely I have been happy with this week’s training of 105KM, not overly high, but then it did include two punishing track sessions which I love, but as I get older I struggle with the idea that I can’t bash out those 200s and 400s as quickly as I did in my youth.

My main focus this week will be to drop back abit as I enter in to what I like to call the camp phase. This will leave me fresh enough to offer a good service to those that I am pacing this coming weekend. I always encourage my charges to do this as well. It is the time before a major event where we spend as much time in solitude and self reflection as we can.

It is the time when I watch all my favourite videos, listen to favourite albums and read about philosophy.

I also spend an increased portion of the day in meditation, drink tea and get inside my own head.

This all prepares me for what I may face on the day and allows my body, soul and spirit to be fresh enough to not only run, but also to muster that animal instinct of WANTING to run. For me there is a big difference between just running and that want and urge from inside to run.

How you spend your time in your own camp is up to you, but one thing is for certain is that we will all do better from slacking off somewhat and spending time in solitude and self reflection prior to a big event.

Running together (while spending sufficient time in solitude and self reflection) – stride for stride on a life changing ride! –Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment