Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, April 1, 2013

Go get it checked!


This week I went to visit my local GP to receive the flu shot and had them check my blood pressure as part of the visit. I was shocked to be told that my blood pressure was on the high side.

I have never had any problems and at the moment am running around 100k a week with a pulse of 38 and slightly under 5% body fat. The diagnosis just didn't add up in my mind. I am fitter than I've ever been, don’t smoke or drink and yet there I was being read the riot act by the doctor about my blood pressure.

Naturally these results were of concern to me and I am going to undergo all the relevant tests, but it did wake me up to the fact that sometimes as endurance athletes, we take our fitness for granted and the fact that we have low fat levels and low pulse levels and believe that merely following a good nutrition program means that we won’t need any extra help.

I’m not concerned until I get more information, but urge all of you to go and undertake a physical even if you are extremely fit or young and believe that you are 10 foot tall and bullet proof. Life’s too short and it’s just not worth going through it not knowing answers about your health.

Running together (while getting our health regularly checked), stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment