Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, March 21, 2011

The online dilemma

Many of us have been faced with the ever increasing cost of local running shoes and clothing. I mention shoes first and foremost as I think that we are getting really ripped off by the likes of the sports stores here in Australia. The dilemma that we then face is do we continue to be ripped off or do we instead seek out cheaper prices on overseas websites.

Plenty of people have merely voted with their dollar and go with the cheapest one, but I am slightly different. I have no trouble in supporting local Australian businesses if the price differential is variable, but as I found out recently when buying new shoes, there is in some instances as much as $150 difference if you order online. That is a lot of money and money that I could be spending on something else to be honest.

I know that each economy faces these problems and I would be keen to hear from others how they feel about these massive price differences.

Running together – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you've ever read any of Phil Maffetone's books. He wrote "Training for Endurance" an excellent book that details working out with a heart rate monitor. There is a chapter on shoes. He recommends a brand from WalMart of all places. Velcro close shoes. I purchased a pair. Not sure if I would ever get a date wearing them. Ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad runs in a pair of shoes that he bought at the local Target and swears that they are as good or if not better than those in the speciality sports stores. He is still running a 40min 10KM in them, so they can't be that bad.

    That said he recounts instances in his youth when he ran only in what are currently known as 'boat shoes' and Dunlop Volleys. Amazing really.

    ReplyDelete