Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Sunday, June 10, 2012

The bravest and most inspirational person I know

I would like to share with you the story of the bravest and most inspirational person that I have met.

This is the story of my remarkable friend Linda. Two years ago I met Linda through the Coolrunning website here in Australia when she was getting prepared (and excited) to complete the Canberra 50KM road race. At the time I didn’t know it, but in the past preparation for Linda would have been extremely comprehensive and you could almost certainly bet that she would have finished up in the ladies rankings, if not winning the entire event.

That year was different though as Linda detailed her plan to walk the 50KM with her sister. Having been diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s, Linda may not have been able to run, but by goodness was she going to complete the event walking. Controversial infighting between organisers caused the event to be cancelled and Linda was understandably disappointed.

On that occasion a group of us decided that the decision was most unjust and decided to hold our own event for Linda to complete her goal. I thought this would have been the highlight of my running career, but that was until this weekend when another of Linda’s dreams came true in her quest to complete the course of the ultimate human race, The Comrades Marathon.

Some months ago I was approached by a mutual friend with the idea that we should get Linda out to not only witness the Comrades, but also to walk the course. Obviously I was enthusiastic, but a little concerned by the logistics of it all. My worries were not at all warranted though as everything came together last weekend when Linda crossed the finishline to rapturous cheers. There was no recorded time (due to her starting early), but what there was was a big smile and a feeling of elation at completing something that she wanted to do while she was still running.

You see 2012 Comrades was never going to be about me or my own selfish needs. It was about putting those things aside and accompanying my friend on her journey.

Running together - while sharing the magic of Comrades with friends - stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment