Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Obesity - Have we stopped caring?


The following report by Monash University in Australia highlights some frightening statistics regarding the ever growing problem of obesity in Australia.

I encourage you to visit the link and read the full report, but a few shockers include:
  • ·     14 million Australians are currently classed as being overweight or obese. That is more than half the population of this country.·         If the current levels of weight gain continue in the population then by 2025 close to 80% of adults (8 out of 10) will be overweight or obese.
  • ·         Obesity has overtaken smoking as the premature cause of death and illness in Australia – translation: We are eating ourselves to an early grave!


Clearly something that we all need to sustain life (ie. Food) has become one of our biggest stumbling blocks. Caring for these obese folks also puts a massive drain on the health system when those doctors and nurses could be being used to assist in stamping out other illness.

Normal average sizes have gone up and up to the point that now I understand that 36” waist for men is normal and size 16-18 for ladies is ‘average’.  My measly 28” waist gets laughed out of stores when I have tried to buy jeans. Seems suppliers just don’t make my size anymore.

Those that know me know that ever since I lost 40kgs and broke a family cycle of weight problems and obesity, I have dedicated myself to helping others to fight back and lose weight to. I outlined my story in my recent book and for me the answer has become that I have taught myself not to even walk down aisles in the supermarket that stock sweets, soft drinks and other junk food. These aisles don’t exist to me.

My ethos is if you don’t buy junk you won’t eat junk and you don’t become junk!

Clearly it is not so easy for others. This is where the government could step in with a junk food tax with the money collected on this going towards education programs, but also more importantly helping to make healthy fresh food affordable to all.

Many it seems though have given up on things and resigned themselves to just getting bigger and bigger. I keep fighting though and spreading the word. Don’t give up. I beat it – you can to!

Running together (while beating obesity), stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment