Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Importance of eating before the long run


This past weekend I attended a unique running camp that my coach holds every so often. The camps are designed to bring people together and training in different sessions to help to improve their running and also to allow people the chance to meet new training buddies and friends.

Given that all the runs were over trails or on the beach, things were pretty hard going and forced one to work pretty hard.

The Sunday morning session was as usual where people headed off in different distances and at different paces. Running 32K over the trails on the morning I made the extreme rookie error of not eating anything prior and also of leaving my water bottle back at the camp.

I was pretty much good to go until around the 28K mark where I started to pay the price with the head going a little fuzzy and having trouble doing maths of where the next KM marking would be. As soon as this feeling of bonking came on I knew I was in trouble and it was for lack of pre fuelling.

I should have known better, but it goes to show that the old adage of doing better when you eat before a long run is so true.

Running together (while managing at least a banana beforehand), stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment