Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, February 11, 2013

Visualisation vs obsession

I'm 30k into the middle of a 35k training run yesterday when I start thinking  about the event that I am putting all this effort into completing (the Virgin London Marathon). It is not unusual for me to spend some time each day thinking about an upcoming event, but this one seems to have so much significance behind it for me. 

Firstly I will be catching up with all my family and friends which will be great, but also because I have put so much effort into the training. I was commenting to a friend at the gym this morning that this is the hardest that I have been training for any event including the Comrades Marathon which is over twice the distance and has much harder hills in it to boot. 

I followed the exact advice that I have given to anyone that I have assisted in that it is important to think about the event, but also to focus on some things outside of this to enable you to achieve balance. 

Sometimes this is very hard as you walk that fine line between continuing to visualise a great race, which is proven to be good for competing in the event and aiding a good result and obsession.

The great Cathy Freeman said that effective visualisation and seeing things in her mind was helped her to Olympic success. In fact she used to leave visual aides all over the house to help remind her of what she wanted to achieve. 

What are your thoughts on visualisation and harnessing it?

Running together (while utilising visualisation), stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment