Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Friday, July 16, 2010

The obsessive runner

We are all either ourselves obessed runners or we know of runners who are obssesed with running. This is not a bad thing as every passionate athlete should harbour a love for their sport. This love will help to bring out the very best in them every time they partake in said sport.

What then of those that pursue a goal with such vigour that they become blind to the reason why they entered into the sport in the first place. For one such friend this is the desire to qualify to run the Boston Marathon. For our age category one needs 3.10.59 to get a number. The best he has done so far is 3 minutes slower.

While I have no doubt that he will get that time in due course, my own experience in running my best times has been to merely throw caution to the wind and go hard and aim to enjoy it. This is how I have always performed best and something that I think I should do more frequently. I have often repeated the phrase ‘Don’t die without trying’, but he keeps on in the solid pursuit of this goal and I am fearful that he may be losing the spirit of the run along the way.

Indeed we must have goals to aim for in life to keep things interesting, but I firmly maintain that we should also be mindful of the beauty, spirit and enjoyment of the run as these factors will bring us back and ultimately bring out our best. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment