Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Running backwards in time

This morning was a time for extreme reminiscing. Having noone to run with today (my mate and his cross country kids being all on holiday), I headed off alone – no watch and just intent on seeing how far a would get in the early morning sunshine.

There were the usual shouts of ‘Gijima’ and ‘sure sure’ as taxis passed me and waved out the windows. For about an hour I did not pay any attention to anything around – I was in a kind of dream world (the best part of the run for me) where my feet just speak to the earth – both are speaking the same language and in unison we move forward. Although the ground I was running over was littered with potholes and uneven ground, I did not seem to battle at all. Things just came so natural to me.

Slowly as if something inside of me was awakening the past, I started to notice landmarks. I ran past my junior school – I ran past my high school and the track where once I ran a 10.6 for the 100, I ran past the zoo where the lions would wake me up with their roaring when I stayed over at my mates place. I ran past the bottle shop where in the old days I used to buy beer underage each Friday after school before a BBQ at my mates place. I ran past a lot of clubs and pubs (some long since shut) where I used to drink while still at school. I ran past the place where I shared my first kiss. I ran past the place where I used to hitchhike home – mad to think back then at the risks I used to take as a kid.

My mind cast back to all my old school chums and what they might be doing at this point in their lives. My mind cast back to a time when things were much simpler and though a part of me yearned for this time again, this can never be and must remain part of my past.

The future beckons and I run to it.

Running together (while concentrating on the future) – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment