Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Running like an animal..

Friday night I was being asked one of those questions that all runners are asked by non runners – why do you do it?

I myself had been asking those sorts of questions just a few years back at 105kgs, but I was not quite as aggressive in my questioning of others as the chap on Friday was. Clearly we had differing opinions on the world and what is important and that is fine, as Gandhi said, ‘Healthy differences are often a sign of healthy progress’.

As mentioned many times on this site, the run and being out amongst nature is all about the spiritual side for me. It is a reconnection with the earth, my ancestors past and present and above all with nature. It matters not how fast or how far – what matters is that I am connecting. Something overtakes my sub conscious and I feel at one with the earth. It is not a question of having to run – that has gone long time ago with the 37Kgs – it is more about wanting to and needing to reconnect.

All of what is important to me went straight over the head of these people, and this is fine. We all have our connection some way. For some it is money, for some it is the arts, but for me it is that primitive need and want to run as one with the earth like an animal. Telling people that I am a running animal often brings looks of bemusement and sometimes laughter and other times people will proceed to tell me about how bad my running is for me and that ultimately it will lead to me not being able to walk in the future and destroying my legs. Clearly all of this is a load of rubbish, but the sad fact is that these critics will not know the joy of running with the earth and as part of the earth. They will be stuck in their rut of questioning instead of accepting that sometimes some things can’t be put in words – these things must be felt to be internalised and rationalised.

Running together (like an animal) stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment