Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, February 20, 2012

Stromlo mountain running



This weekend I experienced glimpses about my past and present life.


What do I mean by this? I learned that one of my favourite pubs while I lived in London had closed down due to too much trouble in the area. Although those days are very much a part of my past, I did feel slightly sad at this news after all the days that I had spent out on the beach volleyball court (yes they had a beach volleyball court in London).

The other thing that happened was that I was able to spend another fantastic weekend running in the mountains just outside of Canberra with some good mates of mine. I am really enjoying the mountain running as a group over the past months. The freedom, fresh air and camaraderie of things is just fantastic. One can’t really beat it.

As someone who was and always is in love with the track and the road, it is refreshing to find another aspect of running that I am keen on. I suppose one of the reasons for this would have to come down to the fact that I don’t seem to be half bad at this bush running malarkey. Coming 15th overall yesterday, I proved not only that I could run offroad, but also that I could beat many people who were significantly faster than me normally.

Best of all though the festival was run by runners for runners with running in mind. There were good sponsors present, but unlike other festivals in the modern world money and gouging the public was not a key factor.

I even got to meet the greatest Australian marathoner ever in Rob de Castella. 

Next year I might try the 12 hour solo event and see how I get on.

Running together (while enjoying running in its truest sense) – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller


No comments:

Post a Comment