Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Race nerves and learning from mistakes

This morning I was chatting to a young lady who has started to work at the front desk of my gym. She informed me that she was planning to run her first half marathon in September at the Blackmores Half Marathon in Sydney.


Discussing her race strategy, she was musing about how much she should be drinking along the way. This got me thinking back to my own first half marathon where I was so unfit an unprepared that I had to stop at 11KM and vomit. I still remember things vividly as I had just purchased a new white long sleeve top to run in (it was freezing) and had a lady ask me if I was alright when I stopped. She also of all things was interested in me not messing up my new top by saying something like ‘Son don’t vomit on your shirt'.

I probably drank too much during that event myself and had no pacing strategy of any sort and hence the vomiting (but I suppose we have to start from somewhere).

Asked on my advice on drinking, I advised the young lady against carrying a hydration pack so that she wasn’t weighed down unnecessarily. One can easily get by with a few sips from each aide station.

Obviously one will rarely ever get things completely right as a novice, but we go away from each event with some more knowledge about ourself, our body and how we might improve in the future. This is what keeps running fun.

Running together (while continuing to learn), stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, been following your really interesting blog for a while now and only now just commenting. I'm actually about to do my first half marathon in a month and a half in Melbourne and was wondering your thoughts on what might be a good race strategy for a beginner. I've been training consistently over the past 2 months, building a base and have run three 10 k events, but have rarely ventured out beyond 10K. I'll be stepping up the intensity throughout september and eventually do long runs of around 15-18km. My goal in the race is firstly a) finish and b) a time under two hours would be a good secondary goal - I currently run the 10k at around 50mins. Any comments appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi daz, Thank you so much for stopping in and reading. I hope that you get something out of my musings. Melbourne is nice and flat, so if it does not get hot your 10K time indicates you could go 1.51 in the half marathon. Your time would be 5.15/KM and going through 10km in 52.30 ish. Stay nice and calm at the start and get into your rhythm early on. Drink a little bit at each drinks station - not excessive though as this can result in cramps or stitch. Above all enjoy it. As to your training, do one or two runs as much as 16KM and you should be fine. The other 5KM will all be in your head and on the day with the crowd etc. Good luck - let us know how you goSAM

    ReplyDelete