Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Friday, January 24, 2014

Inspiration from those refusing to give up

This morning while coming back from my gym session, I ran into an older lady who loves in my neighbourhood that I used to see at the gym but no longer do. I had been concerned for her after not seeing her in a while and so was pleased to see her coming along the road.

we stopped and exchanged greetings and I asked how she was doing. She always inspired me as she was so fit and able into her 70s. Now however she looked very frail and worse for wear. Not wanting to probe, but then she dropped the bombshell that she'd suffered a stroke and so wasn't able to do as much now as she had been able to. Her will to go on and her desire for an active life were still alive, but the body had sadly failed her. It was heartbreaking knowing that I couldn't do anything to help but provide a sympathetic ear at the time she needed it.

She said to me 'Sam - I don't want sympathy. I have achieved so much in my life and even if this takes my movement,  I'm not going to go quietly or without a fight.' She then said that her greatest wish was that other people and in particular young folks were to embrace each day and to enjoy their health and strength as it may be taken at anytime.

This rocked me abit I must say, but it also reminded me that each day is precious and that I need to really live to the full and not take my health or ability to move and run for granted. I take great strength from this lady and others who are faced with adversity but who just won't lie down and give up.

Running together (while living each day to the full)- stride for stride on a life changing ride! - Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment