Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Friday, May 30, 2014

Running and relationships

I was having a chat to a friend this morning at the gym about how running has been affecting his relationship. He was having a whinge that his new girlfriend could not understand why it would make him so happy to head off on a Sunday long run and come back much saner and happier than before. He works a pretty stressful job and so for him (like many of us) his Sunday morning long run is a form of therapy in helping him to just be alone inside his own head and relax. He comes back revitalised and ready to face the following week.

I pointed out to him that I wasn’t the best example to be asking these sorts of questions of since my track record with women is nothing to brag about and so that largely means that I am free to indulge in exercise in whatever way I want to, but it also means that I don’t have all the other associated pleasures attached with a relationship in my life.

In previous relationships I have found that it was healthy to have a partner who shared my passion for keeping fit, but that the largest thing that came in the way of things was often the fact that we ended up being so competitive with each other and she couldn’t stand the fact that sometimes I was a bit better than her at things and vice versa she was a bit better than me at other things. In hindsight those relationships were not right for me and to be truthful one always has to feel that things are right in a relationship prior to moving forward with things.

Two very strong competitors may not always work long term. Short term they may bring out the best in each other, but long term they may end up doing more damage to their relationship than good through the competition.

Similarly, as with my friend, a relationship can’t really work if one side is just doesn’t condone (or worse still is jealous) of their partner’s exercise needs/regime. This can only lead to problems in the long term.


Running together (while hopefully with an equally active partner), stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment