Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, April 18, 2011

The unpredictability of running

You never do really know what or who you will encounter when you head out and run.

Take yesterday for instance, I was cruising along nicely just minding my own business when a very speedy looking girl came past me like I was standing still. Intrigued by this I managed to chase her down and after we fell into conversation, she happened to casually mention that it was recovery jog pace for her – I was not wearing a watch, but we were in my mind easily at around a 4.15/Km pace and you could just tell that she was cruising and had so much more in the bank if required.
Now I am not going to mention her name on here, because I don’t think it fair without her permission, but it turns out she is a pretty handy runner and doing the 10KM in a touch under 34mins. Has not run a marathon yet, but with that time she has certainly the potential for a handy time.

Being interested in the theory of it all, I proceeded to punch her time into McMillan (although I don’t see him as being entirely the best predictor) and his calc says she should run the marathon in 2.39 all things considered. This is a remarkable time and one that would win most ladies marathons in Australia. In fact she would have come inside the top ten overall in Canberra on the weekend with that time.

Although when queried (before I let her disappear into the distance) she said she would not consider running a marathon, I do hope that sometime in the future she may reconsider as it would be formidable to watch her over the distance.

Running together – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment