Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Sunday, October 9, 2011

The curse of the iPod wearers

Those that know me well, know that it takes a lot to even get me mildly wound up. Life is so short that I don’t believe in harbouring resentment or hatred towards people – I generally move on though and just extradite these negative, energy sucking souls from my life!

As the saying goes – ‘There is no need to fear the angry man in sport or in life as he will generally defeat himself with time’.

What does get me extremely annoyed though is the amount of iPod wearing runners who have no regard for others who share the roads with them on a given day. I recently read of a wheelchair athlete who was battling to find money to repair her wheelchair in preparation to try and make the London paraolympics after having an iPod wearer smack into her in the City to Surf and what was worse, the cretin kept on running. I must admit that I started out running with an iPod, but have not used one (even on short runs) for a good few years now.

This morning I was out on my 35KM training run and am always alert on particular sections of the track I take as there are bikes that share this path with runners. Generally things are harmonious and nothing bad happens – cyclists ring their bells and we get out of the way. It is simple really.

That was until Mr and Ms iPod wearer – with it on full blast decide to rock the apple cart somewhat. The poor cyclist is yelling and ringing his bell to alert them, but they are oblivious – stuck somewhere in a techoclub soundtrack. Clearly having had enough, said cyclist decides to take matters into his own hands and overtake them only to be greeted with a barrage of abuse and four letter words as he almost runs them over (they were weaving all over the shop and clearly in the wrong).

This happened again with another group of people (walking 6 abreast and blocking the whole path) and a cyclist trying to get through politely at first and then losing his cool a bit. Mind you I was also greeted with a mouthful as I made my way through that group.

Now I have no objections to someone ruining their running experience through using an iPod (can’t understand why one would want to do it), but these machines also seem to take over brains and cause people to act like idiots and in a downright unsafe manner.

Put the machine away – listen to the earth around you and under you – get lost in your own thoughts – allow your head to clear as you indulge in man’s greatest freedom.

Running together (sans iPod) – Stride for stride on a life changing ride!! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment