Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Saturday, October 15, 2011

Random kindness and building community

The end of this week I had to visit Canberra for work reasons. Thursday evening when I had concluded all that I needed to, I asked of my hotel where they would suggest I could take in a quick 10KM run or so. They looked at me bewildered, but handed over a map and instructed me to head for Black Mountain and to do a loop and the Australian National University. I ventured out in to the cooling night and the days stresses just faded as I dropped the hammer and ran quickly.

Passing by the university grounds, I was suddenly 12 years younger and playing rugby and running with my uni mates. Up ahead I saw a squad of runners heading in the same direction as I was and I pushed the pace to catch them.

‘Want to join us?’ – three simple words from one of the leaders and the invite I had been hoping for. Smiling and nodding I joined in – a few handshakes round the group and exchanges of names and I was part of a uni running group and in my element for the evening.

Now the group set a challenging pace, but there was the presence of banter (as with all groups) and the formation of new friendships. Just under an hour later, I thanked them and peeled off to retrace my steps to my hotel – mission accomplished in building community around a positive and healthy endeavour.

With all the electronic mediums that we communicate through nowadays, there seems to be less of the inclination to actually say ‘hi’ and to get to know someone on a base level. On that level and with that group, we could have been a herd of animals out running and doing exactly what nature intended us to do.

Running together – while building community – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. Sean I spent 5 glorious years living and running around ANU. One of the best places to run anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not agree more matey!! What a great place!

    ReplyDelete