Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Saturday, March 3, 2012

The golden rule..

A query from a friend today about next week’s Six Foot Track 45KM run in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney led me to revisit the golden old rule of never trying something for the first time during an event if you have not at first tried it extensively in training. This query came around carrying a certain type of bottle during the event and after looking at things from the point of view of the golden rule, we ascertained that it would probably irritate more than assist and ditched the idea. I personally love the idea of trying and experimenting with new techniques and have often used myself as a guinea pig for things that sound a little off the wall. There are two reasons why I like to do this. The first is that I would like to ascertain if it does indeed work for myself and not have someone tell me that it worked for them. As Sheehan wrote, we are all very much an experiment of one and thus I always start off by saying to someone ‘This did work for me, but best you try it yourself extensively before an important event’. By all means try things in races that you are using as build-ups to a big event as the results in these events may largely be of no consequence to you. Secondly I like to be able to be the person who can verify if things will work or not if someone asks me how they went for me. The only time I have seen someone successfully implement a new experiment in a major event was around my trusted old friend Imodium. A friend was really struggling with diarrhoea that came on midway through a 100KM event and the only thing that enabled him to go on was the fact that he took a chance and downed 4 Imodiums which did the trick. Experiment – experiment – experiment = success. Running together (while experimenting with new ideas) – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment