Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, December 20, 2010

If it hurts then get it checked

This morning I had a massive scare as I woke with severe chest pains and could not move in bed without the pain. After some thought and consideration I decided to visit the doctor and see what was up. The reason I was hesitant to go get it checked out was purely out of fear for the fact that there is something wrong with my heart and that I would be forced to give up on running and sport in general – or worse...

My thoughts turned to a local rugby mate who had keeled over on the rugby pitch at the age of 25 from a sudden heart attack – he was fighting fit and did not drink or smoke or do drugs and was not overweight. Taken way to soon in my humble view.. I picked up that phone and with fear in my head and heart called up the doctor.

Being extremely thorough she checked everything associated with the heart – ECG, blood pressure, pulse and cholesterol. Everything was determined as normal albeit the pulse slightly high for me at 43 (have been as low as 38) but this is not something that the doctor was concerned with. The end result was that it is an inflammation of the chest wall and something that could have been brought on by a respiratory tract infection.

The reason I share this is because even though my mind was thinking the worst this morning and this turned out not to be the case, I am glad that I went along and got everything checked out properly as experience has taught me that some things you just don’t play around with and one of these is your heart.

If it hurts please get it checked early!

Running together Stride for stride (while watching heart health) on a life changing ride!—Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment