Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Thursday, February 24, 2011

Transcending all boundaries

Running for me is the one sport that can truly transcend any and all boundaries. We can all quite simply run. It is not like swimming or other sports that may require some training to perfect the technique. From the time that we are able to walk, we are able to then take a few quick steps, which can be considered to be the first venture into running.

Kids are funny to watch when they run as they have no care in world for how they look, how their style or form is or what their caloric intake is. These trivial matters don’t concern the child. All they really care about is what I cared about when I first started running track as a five year old youngster at junior school and that is that they want to go fast. So long as they are beating the chap next to them in the race then they are happy.

I remember zipping down the 100m sprint at that young age and becoming highly annoyed if one of my friends beat me or heaven forbid someone from a rival school were to beat me. Mum still has memories of separating me from another kid at age five after we were involved in a post race dust up.

Running though has helped me to formulate great friendships in life. It has enabled me to run with those much less fortunate than myself and to share in their lives and assist these folks where I can. It is the great humbler and the great leveller in life.

Long distance running is one of the very few sports on the planet where ordinary runners like me can test themselves over the same course and on the same day and time as world and Olympic Champions. A sea of humanity locked in a common goal of completing the same course albeit at significantly different times.

It does not matter if you run in the latest Nike gear and with the Garmin related technology or if you run barefoot with no shirt to cover your back and no watch, all are welcome.

Running long distance events like the Comrades Marathon gives me a hope for the future – it shows that the human spirit is alive and well, it gives me hope that tomorrow will be better than today and through my running and motivation I can and will effect some small positive change on humanity on a daily basis. Even if it just means me offering some positive words to someone struggling in a race or when out on a training run, I hope that as a result that person’s day will go better.

There will come a time when my personal improvements will start to wane. This is natural and happens even to the very best in any sport. Although the mind may be willing, the body knows its limitations and advises training smarter as time marches on. Despite this I have no doubt I will run until I am physically not able to do so any longer.

One thing I know will not wane is my enthusiasm for seeing new runners enjoying their running and discovering the joys and freedoms that this great sport can bring.

Do something each day to push yourself out of your own comfort zone and do something for someone else each day and life goes so well!!.

Running together – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment