Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, June 20, 2011

That Lazy Feeling

Having been only just over 2 weeks since my Comrades exploits, I have been taking things seriously easy now. Last year I learned the hard way and started doing hard sessions too early again. This resulted in injury frustrations. This year I hope that I am wiser than I was.

Many of my mates have jumped back into training straight after the event, yet I am conservative and want to be running long term. Better to be more cautious and let the body heal than for me to jump in and come short.

As my old mate back in South Africa says, each year after Comrades, he takes an extended time and just does nothing – he catches up on things he did not do while training hard, goes out with the family, does odd chores around the house and just chills out in his shed. Another mum prefers to take time with other mums and do mum stuff like drinking coffees and baking cakes. That is not to say that she will not run again. This is just her sane stop gap that she needs to ensure things remain on an even kilter.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sean
    Anthony, aka Tony78 here. Just got back to Sydney after a month in SA. Hadn't been home for almost 3 years though. My recovery over the 3 weeks after Comrades mainly involved a lot of beer!! Its quite funny, after our chat at the finish, I cramped up really bad all over my body and had to be stretchered to the medical tent!! I couldn't move - next time I'll know not to sit down on the grass. Was okay after a massage luckily. Do you want to meet up for a post Comrades drink sometime? I would also like to get your friend's number from you if that is still cool. I go back to work tomorrow, not really looking fwd to it, but life must carry on.
    Anthony (0450 000 302)

    ReplyDelete