Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Thursday, August 18, 2011

The power of the one legged squat

This evening at the gym, I was reminded of the power of one of my favourite exercises that I have picked up from my physio. The one legged squats done off a bench or chair is the one exercise that I value to help to stabilise my running and also ward off any niggly ITB problems. I know that if I do them three times a week, that I feel better and that things go much better in general.


I generally do 15 reps off of each leg and concentrate on the lowering of the body (power up, slow lowering and loading of the quad). Done three times a week as part of my gym routine is plenty for me. My advice would be to not do more than 15 and if you have not done these sorts of exercises previously then best to start with 8 or 10 of them as when done properly, they are pretty tough.

Build slowly and your strength in both legs will increase and it will improve your running in the long term.

Running together (while doing one legged squats) – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment