Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, January 14, 2013

Are you Waterlogged?


There has been so many contentious things written about the amount of water (or lack thereof) that we consume or need to consume to survive in our daily lives. This is even more important for long distance runners and ultra athletes.

It is common knowledge that the body consists of majority water and that this is something that we need to survive, often though we follow advice blindly without first thinking it through and this is something that I certainly did when I first started running.

I recall how I was so worried about getting a drink that I used to head out for a 15K run with a 2L Camelpak and make sure I was sipping every 15 minutes as was mentioned on the Gatorade packet that I had. I’m now certain this was only a buying ploy as I now head off many times for 30K runs with no water and find that if I stop and drink to thirst then I am fine and don’t need to worry. I also find that I feel a lot lighter than I have in the past if adopting this strategy – after all extra water is just extra weight and something that we as distance runners don’t need.

Professor Tim Noakes wrote recently about the dangers of over drinking a in a race and in life in his text Waterlogged’. It really does make one think twice about drinking more.

What are your experiences with drinking our over drinking?

Running together (while watching out for overdrinking), stride for stride on a life changing ride! –Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment