Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Improving the balance of the body


I don’t often give product reviews unless I think that something is really top notch, but this morning during my post run gym session I noticed something that had escaped me over the past few weeks.

Doing my normal set of one legged squats off of the gym bench (these help heaps with general stability and quad strength), I realised that both of my legs appeared to have equal amounts of stability and strength in them. Previously my right leg had always been my strongest and most stable (we all have a lead leg) with the left lagging behind a little.

Looking back at why this would be, the only reason that I can think of is the switch that I have made to training and running exclusively in the Nike Free range of shoes. Not only are they lighter in weight, but they appear to have helped with my range of motion and strengthening and stabilising the overall leg and foot. The last time I ran any sort of race in something a bit more stable was Comrades back in June of this year.

Overcoming fear of moving permanently into the Free type shoes was something that I had to contend with more so than the actual transition itself. Once that was conquered I feel so much better and stronger. Perhaps it is in my head, but I am sure that majority of people in the stability type shoes don’t really need them and that provided we are willing to work at keeping the body strong and healthy there is no fear of injuries.

Running together (while improving stability and balance), stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. I have a different story myself Sam regarding Frees. I switched to frees last year and ran for a year on and off and kept suffering chronic injuries, particularly with my knees and hips. Running became painful after wearing the fres. I've now swtiched to some Brookes Adrenalines which have some moderate stability control and my issues have disappeared. No pain. I guess with these things it comes down to individual wearers...I still wear the frees occasionally, but not for heavy training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by mate. Definitely horses for courses on shoes and if you are happier and pain free now then you made the correct decision.
      Personally I can only go off of some folks I have coached and my own personal experience. Once we were doing our drills and strengthening religiously then any niggles ironed themselves out, but the main thing I always emphasise is that pain free running and enjoyment is what it is about.

      Keep running strongly.
      SAM

      Delete