Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Attempts at trail running

This weekend was one of those moments that reminds me why I got back into running. Friends and I headed down to the south of Sydney for The Coastal Classic 29KM bush run.
The course is renowned not only as extremely challenging as it features a number of different aspects of trail running such as single track, beach running and up and down cliff tops, but also what I learnt later in the day, the potential to go the wrong way. This is just something that one doesn’t encounter in road running in that you almost always have someone on hand to point out the route.
From the start I felt good and was running well. Noone was passing me on the flats and very few were coming near me on the uphills either. The downs I have yet to master and how some of the people fly down them like rock rabbits I have no idea. They seem to have some suicidal wishes. 
The 21K mark came and I was lying a good position and hoping to give the last 8K everything while heading after a bunch of blokes just ahead of me.
2.5K into this split of road I thought that something was not right as several blokes were coming back down and saying to us that it was the wrong way. The sign had however been pointing in the direction of the inland trail, but we found out that this had been switched by someone who was out to sabotage the race. I hope that it was not another runner ahead of me, but very disappointing to say the least and not the ideal way to turn any novice like me onto trail running.
Cest la Vie - it happens apparently that in trail one needs to get lost for some reason.
Running together (while getting lost on the trails), stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment