Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Downsizing

I watched a recent documentary on lifestyles around the world and was astounded to hear that in Sweden and Denmark, families lived a really minimalistic lifestyle. They had ample food and lived well, but had comparatively little in terms of material possessions - not because they were poor, but because they did not feel like they needed them. They cited the reason why they felt Americans and others needed big houses was partly to measure up with the neighbours and partly to store all the stuff that they went about collecting and then threw out later on in life as they again downsized.

This got me thinking about my own life and the amount of stuff that I own which I either never use, or rarely use. Going through my wardrobe this evening, I came across some pieces that I seem to have had for ages. I have a pair of running shorts that are probably about 10 years old but yet they still look brand new – why throw them out I am thinking? I recently threw out a pair of jeans that were also about 7 years old, but that is because I could not wear them any more due to losing so much weight around my middle. They were a 32 and I am now a 28.

I have managed to discard a fair few running items that have just been accumulating and have also resolved not to buy any further exercise/running gear for the foreseeable future as I just have way too much of the stuff and really don’t need any more.

This weekend I will go through other things that I want to target for disposal. Minimalist is coming back into fashion and that suits me just fine – less to worry about. Save the money and spend it on experiences for yourself – better yet donate it to charity. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment