Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Thursday, September 2, 2010

Running and the workplace

I used to regularly make time to run or do some form of boot camp or another during my lunch time. I say used to as as I have not been running that much over the past weeks and am restricting my activities to the gym and pool.

Personal point of view is that training together as a group on a regular basis is a far more healthy way of work colleagues to bond than for them to be heading to the pub each lunchtime. Productivity definitely does increase in the afternoon following a session of exercise and people are more inclined to put in the amount of effort required to push through to a later finish in the evening without any grumbling.

Once worked with a senior stakeholder who actively encouraged us to go out for a run as a team and conduct a meeting/catchup on the run. This definitely had the desired effect of bringing new respect for the manager and a greater cohesion in the team.

Everyone should have one of these catchups every week. Running together, stride for stride on a life changing ride.– Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. I wish my boss understood. He actively discourages leaving the premises during lunch hour. I actively remind him daily that it's my lunch time and I'll do what I like :) Pot stirer, I know. Trouble is, I'm a teacher and my lunchtime running had kids clambering over each other to run with me! The boss did not like that at all. Crazy, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how good is that! I think that any example (like you are setting) to kids of healthy living and sport is great. There is so much junk mind rotting electronic games out there today that no wonder kids are getting fatter. Good for you mate! I have another friend who is a teacher and she sets a fine example to her children of sports and running.

    Not to be a kill joy (and I don't know the full circumstances), but perhaps the boss is worried about being sued if the kids fall over and break something?
    It is so sad these days that parents are willing to sue so easily. falling over and scraping a knee or getting a little dirty is all part of growing up surely. Much better to have them out in nature than playing the stupid Wii. There is no way in hell that waving a stick around in your lounge will get you fit.

    Thanks for reading! Keep running mate!

    ReplyDelete