Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Running and accumulation

Running is largely a fairly simple sport that involves not much equipment at all and which quite frankly anyone of us can do since the day we are born.

At least this is what most running books tell us. This is of course quite true and we are literally born to run.

Why is it then that this fairly simple sport has become a marketers dream with the amount of shoes and different styles ever changing and evolving? Initially we were told it was bad for us to run barefoot – then we were told it was bad to run with shoes. Talk about confusion.

Initially shorts and a t-shirt was adequate, whereas now we seek out the latest and greatest tech apparel, compression gear, socks etc. None of this stuff is cheap and yes I have been sucked into buying things in the past that perhaps I did not really need.

Between the freebies that one receives at races and through corporates, the need to buy clothing is almost redundant for most of us.

Try a little experiment next time you want to buy a new gadget or piece of apparel. Ask yourself if you will be able to wear it enough to get it down to $1 a wear to make it truly worthwhile. In most instances you probably find that you don’t need it and it may sit in your closet like many other pieces gathering dust till you end up clearing it out in a year or so. – Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you however, buying new clothes/shoes/gadgetry can sometimes give you a little thrill that makes that next run a little more enticing
    :)
    For me right now, it's my running skirt. I thought I'd HATE them but turns out it worked so good, that I bought another!
    And not that I really need an incentive to run because I'll do it anyhow but I sure do like putting that skirt on :)
    (ok so I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you Margot. You should get in touch with my friend Pink Skirt on Coolrunning. She is an amazing woman and a true covert to the skirt.

    Keep on running.
    SAM

    ReplyDelete