Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Injury update

Went to doctor guru man today and he has told me that I can once again start to do light runs at the end of this week. I was thinking it ironic that this will coincide with the marathon and me being down at the finish volunteering. How can I be bitter though when I have so much and am blessed with so many people who have been so helpful towards me?

The doc also worked up a program for me, which was very good of him and pronounced that there is no reason that by the middle of November I will be back to some decent running.

It was interesting that he highlighted the classic Zatpotek syndrome and numerous other examples of when forced rest has been good for athletes. Those having benefited from this have been Zatpotek himself, Salazar, Paula Radcliffe and even Noakes, who cites that he ran his best Two Oceans after having an operation and being forced to rest and do no running for 4 weeks.

The body is indeed an interesting and bewildering gift. I know that I have reacted pretty well to the rest. The itch to run is coming back – the twitch is felt occasionally in the legs again and I have been concentrating on getting my diet in the best order that it has ever been.

Whilst I can’t wait to run again, I am being cautious and heeding the advice as well as remembering all that I have read and been taught by more experienced and older runners over the past few weeks. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment