Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Friday, October 5, 2012

Bonk running - coming to a grinding halt...


The bonk run is something that I have been experimenting with for quite some time. Put simply bonking is where the body exhausts the glycogen fuel sources and you literally have to come to a standstill. This can come at varying stages of the run, but for many people it can come at that critical 2- 3 hour mark.

Would there be any benefit to training to extend this mark or to teach the body to cope better when this point arrives? I set out to explore all of these things over the past couple of weeks.

Following a series of runs where I have been pushing the limits by not eating on the morning of the run, during the run or drinking anything, I can conclude that the point of bonking (ie. The point where I grind to a halt through lightheadedness) has been extended further and further.

What I have discovered is that the body is able to start tapping into the fat stores and using those as fuel once the glycogen has gone. This morning I had the added heat to contend with which made things less than pleasant but no doubt aided in conditioning the body (I believe in the same way that the sauna does).

Sure this form of training is not for everyone and some may dispute its safety or validity, but then again that is why I am here - to experiment and report back so that you don’t have to.

Does bonk running have a place? Certainly in my book it will be something that I will continue doing.

Running together (while experimenting with bonk running), stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller 

No comments:

Post a Comment