Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fighting the big O word

A few readers have said to me that I have been neglecting my promises to assist with those that are seeking nutrition help and hence the next few posts will be devoted to food and healthy eating and fighting obesity.

Some recent shocking stats that I have been reading show that we are in some serious strife in the developed world. In fact if we keep on growing at the rate that we are growing, then we are going to be very deep in the brown stuff as a human race pretty soon.

Already in Australia 1 in every 3 people is overweight or obese and growing larger by the day. What I am about to say may hurt, but I don’t care and I am qualified to say this as I to was FAT before I rediscovered man’s greatest freedom.

The fact is that we have gotten soft in the west as a result of technological advances. Back when there were no video games, there was no TV and there was no internet and no fast food epidemic, children used to actually get out and play with the dog or ride their bikes or play soccer and run around. I don’t want to be soft. I want to be strong like my grandfather was. He used to swim a couple of KM every night (winter and summer) around the harbour and then walk home.

Nowadays with the proliferation of rubbish like Wii and Facebook, we have even more problems. The average teen in the west is said to spend about 4-5 hours a day between Facebook and television. That is staggering. Adults are also watching about 4 hours of TV a day (some watch more). No wonder we are in so much trouble.

Anyone saying that Wii is exercise is severely deluded. There is absolutely no way in hell that waving a stick around in your lounge is going to get you fit. Yet we are still prepared to pay hundreds of dollars for these machines. Worse still are the grown men that sit and play video games all night. They are all part of the people ‘who don’t have time to run or train’.

Turn off that TV – trash that Wii and miraculously I have created time for you. Step off that couch and out that door. Stride for stride on a life changing ride. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment