Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Saturday, October 2, 2010

Spreading the run

I was casually listening in to a few colleagues yesterday talking about their exploits in City to Surf and the fact that they were proud of themselves for having run 14km. While I agree that 14km of man’s greatest freedom is better than nothing, I enquired as to why they would not consider running longer. The answer that I received was that surely 14km was as far as anyone would consider running – they could not fathom further. In fact one of them said that she had run the City to Surf Marathon. I could not but laugh at that one.
Once I had told them that I love the ultra events, I could see that they could not believe that this was something that humans should even be attempting.
I have my work cut out for me in converting them over to the good side but I will keep up my attempts nonetheless.
I would welcome any funny stories that readers have had around colleagues or friends who are yet to discover the joy of the long run. – Sean Muller

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! Every time i've reached a distance I want to go more.. it's never enough. Having said that, my greatest distance so far is 42.2kms.. (or 42.37 by my garmin! lol)

    The first time I ran 14kms I texted everyone I knew. LOL. Same thing happened when I ran 21kms for the first time... Can't help it.. I just love the achievement...

    It's never enough!

    ReplyDelete