Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

When to run and when to be absent

Many times in the past I ran obsessively. I would run 3-4 times a day just because I thought that this was what one would have to do to improve.

Initially my running improved exponentially. I then started to run to get through difficult patches in life. I still do this, but no longer do I feel the need to run 40km before work in the mornings (not every morning, but some mornings when I thought my body needed extra punishment).

The result was that I was always sore, always hungry and constantly seeking out sweet treats and chocolates. Work left me additionally drained.

The past weeks have taught me that it is okay to be absent from running if indeed you are not truly absent (i.e. you carry over elements into your life). Training and training will not get me any better and as with alot of runners, I had fallen into that trap of training merely so that I could train some more.

A good fitness level is all that is required from now onwards. As a friend of mine who is in his 50s and still runs a sub 3 hours in the marathon pointed out quality is far more important. This will be my goal going forward. No more than 60km a week till December and then build again slowly. I should have known that little distance suits me as I ran my best marathon ever on a maximum of only 60 km a week.

Lessons learned indeed. May you take something from my guinea pig efforts and not repeat the same mistakes that I did.

Diversity is the key to refreshment. Keep believing, keep achieving – Sean Muller

2 comments:

  1. so true! less is sometimes much better... i'm currently nursing a calf strain and know that with a good rest i'll be out running again. I used to let this get to me and felt really bad, but now it's all par for the course.
    Short, High quality sessions are worth more than mere quantity - i discovered this over time too. I'm also applying this to swimming and cycling as i aim for the Ironman next year.... it seems to work. I feel stronger all round, without going mad (well i don't think i'm overdoing it - others may well do !! all is relative!)
    good luck with the recovery
    martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Martin. I wish you the best mate. I recently read Jack Daniels and he said that the best runners don't always get to the Olympics, but rather those that manage setbacks the best and deal with any injuries promptly. Wise words from a wise man. Thanks for reading mate. SAM

    ReplyDelete