Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Running without time

The latest book that I have been reading is Magical Running by Bobby McGee. It talks to me in the language that I understand – i.e. that it is not all about the time that it takes to complete a certain distance, but rather about the journey and what one goes through inside.

He talks about the importance of positive self talk and preferring to coach people with the right attitude rather than those that may have been blessed with good genes. To have the chance to learn about that which is so often overlooked (i.e the mental side of running) is great. In fact his methods have worked in turning around runners like Colleen de Reuck and helping them to greater success.
He addresses the importance of going out and running without the aide of a watch or Garmin etc – I tried this at lunch and although I am not sure how fast I was going, I was running within myself and with the earth. It is an interesting question to ask as far as if you don’t have a concept of time on your wrist, will you run faster or slower than normal?

My one and only race I ran without a watch was a half-marathon where I just went out and ran from the heart. It happened to be the first one that I managed 88 mins. A complete surprise really, but one which I gladly accepted at the time.

Another interesting thing that I recently read is that the ‘angry man in sport and life is no good as he will always defeat himself’. Focus the anger though and don’t dwell on it and success will come.

Get off that couch and head out the door (sans watch of course).

Running together – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment