Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Listening and interpreting

It is pleasing that so many folks from across the world have been writing in a saying that they have been gaining from my musings on here. Sharing of knowledge is one of the most powerful ways that we can enhance things in this world. No one knows everything and the more we learn, the more we find there is to learn.

Today I wanted to focus on an often overlooked part of training – that being rest. This morning I woke and was due to go for my normal 90 minute Wednesday run, but my stomach was not feeling great and to be honest it felt as if Mike Tyson was going 12 rounds with its insides. I’m not entirely sure why this was as I hadn’t done anything different over the past few days and have been eating that which I normally would eat through the course of a week. That said in the pain I was in, there was no way that I was able to go for my run.

Being in the taper for Six Foot Track, means that I’m not panicking at all. As the great Bruce Fordyce said, if in pain, rest. If in you are tired and feeling washed up and weak – rest. In fact he added ‘If ever in doubt then rather rest’. This has always proved sound advice for me (although at first it took some getting used to).

Your body will tell you what it wants on the day (or any day for that matter). It will tell you how much of something it wants and when it is not happy about something. It is only a matter of listening to and being able to interpret these signals that will provide us with success. That is if we are only willing to listen.

Running together (while interpreting your body’s signs), stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment