Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Weird things seen on the run

I always find it fascinating how you never know who or what you are going to encounter when you head out the door on a run. This evening as I headed out to the pool, I was about 3K into my run and literally rounded a bend and came face to face with a giant pig being walked on a lead. This was in the middle of Surry Hills and I had to stop and take a photo.

Now I’ve encountered many different animals in my time while running or walking in the bush. Baboons have been a common one from the time I got my orienteering group lost on a hike when we were on a bush camp aged 11 and we managed to walk over the border from South Africa to Lesotho. That was a hair raising encounter and at that tender age I learned the value of following a map, not trying to outrun wild animals and that even as cute as they are vervet monkeys can scare the heck out of you when you are alone in the bush.

Normally I’m just happy to live inside my own head while out running, but the pig really got me thinking about things. How did they manage to domesticate it to walk on a lead and where would you keep it in the inner city? Also do you need a permit to keep such and animal?

Whoever said running was a boring sport.. Oh and the swim was pretty good to. 


Running together (while encountering weird things in your city), stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment