Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Respecting others time

This morning I experienced one of my absolute pet hates in life when it comes to training or even just general life - that being flakiness or an absolute disregard for other people's time and effort.

I was due to meet a mate for training at his request this morning and had not only looked forward to having some company in my workout, but sacrificed starting at my preferred time to accommodate him. I waited and waited for 20 minutes and then got going on my own. I didn't have a phone with me so couldn't contact him and was actually a little worried during training that something may have happened to him along the way.

Getting home I found a Text message reading only 'Sorry mate- too many beers last night and so didn't make it'. Now he's a grown man of 36 and I'm certainly not against anyone going out and getting plastered if that is what they want to do, but why then not say something the night before or why make plans at all if you know you can't go out and just drink soft drink or be home at a decent hour?

Once or twice one can excuse this sort of behaviour, it's only human, but when it starts becoming a regular pattern (as it has with him) then I get annoyed and reluctant to even believe what comes out of their mouths, but also train with them at all.

It hurts even more when it's done and then blatantly rubbed in your face. It happened a little while ago with a female friend who then commented to her mate, 'Don't worry, it's only Sam - he doesn't mind.' Yes good old reliable Sam will always be there was what was being implied. Well I dropped their friendship only to get a text going I miss you... What - you miss messing me around and having things solely on your terms?

Don't mess around your mates or those you supposedly care about. It isn't nice at all. Everyone has their breaking point and if you push enough buttons even the most tolerant will just walk away.

Running together (while respecting others time), stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment