Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Saturday, July 16, 2011

Lightweight and coconut milk

Today marks the lightest that I have been since the age of 16. 66KG this morning at the gym and out on my run this morning I felt like I was flying. Granted it was pretty cool and ideal conditions for running and I only did 12KM, but I felt pretty comfortable sitting at around the 4.10/KM mark. I can’t quite put my finger on why I felt as I did, perhaps it is the weight loss, perhaps it is the change of diet to a more minimalist diet and perhaps it was the weather.... Or maybe, just maybe it was the fact that I drank some coconut milk last night.


Why would one do such a thing you may be asking yourself? Well a friend had mentioned that all he drinks during ultras is coconut milk and raves about the benefits of it for sportsmen and runners. I had bought a tin some time ago and left it in my pantry (not having the courage to try it until last night) but as I had run out of normal milk last night, I decided to give it a go and drink some. Although it is definitely an acquired taste, I am always someone who will experiment with suggested things and then report back for others. On the whole it was not too bad, but not something that I would be inclined to drink everyday. As to the nutrient value, that is not to be underestimated it is definitely packed with some good vitamins.

Running together (while drinking coconut milk) – stride for stride on a life changing ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment