Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Saturday, July 30, 2011

Listening to older wiser heads

This morning I tried a session that was suggested to me by an older wiser head as something that may potentially help me. What was different you may ask?

Well at a first glance it may seem like a session that many of us would undertake in that it involved loads of 400s at pace. I have done 400m sessions in the past and found them beneficial, however this one was different in that it allows for a float of the bend and then opening up the tank again for another 400m without stopping. The older wiser man had recommended going for 18-19minutes of this, but I could only muster a paltry 16mins and then was finished. I guess it would work better if I had had some company and not just the watch to participate against.

Easy – you may say, but not for me. Although I was finished afterwards and even during the cool down, I am now feeling pretty good and would that session again in the next few weeks to see if I can complete the entire thing and as a gauge of fitness.

Many times older runners I find are dismissed by young arrogant ‘guns’ as being over the hill. I however am constantly amazed at some of the times that these folk ran prior to the big marathon boom of the 70s – the era prior to gels and Gatorade and other sorts of fancy modern inventions. They were seriously quick and yet they are so humble about things.

Rather than dismissing them, talk to older runners – welcome and embrace their knowledge and most of all remember that old ideas are tested ideas and often the best ideas.

Running together (while embracing knowledge of older runners) – stride for stride on a life changing ride! – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment