Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, July 4, 2011

What to do with that dam pumpkin?

This morning day one of my Live below the line challenge begun and as I opened up my eyes I thought - 'Hold on a sec this is like any other day, I do some form of exercise and then eat and head to work' and that is exactly how it was.

Got up and went for a swim this morning. Usually 1KM is enough for me in the mornings and today was no different. Back home and the morning's breakfast consisted on a bowl of cooked oats and milk (again no different to what I normally would eat). Last night I had prepared a pasta dish with some of the frozen veggies and lentils and that was to form the basis of my lunch. 3 slices of bread were carefully wrapped in foil as they would be snacks in the middle of the day.

I slightly missed my coffee fix of the morning, but not wanting to fade and be undisciplined I remained resolute. To be honest energy levels were fine the entire day despite there being a fair bit on to contend with.

After work I headed to the gym and enjoying my weights session of yesterday I did another hour of strengthening exercises and plyometrics. Day done and back home for another bowl of oats.

Everyone wants to know what I am going to do with my pumpkin. They seem almost obsessed with it as being the highlight of my shop. To be honest I am stoked that I managed to find a pumpkin for $2. The pumpkin though remains alive and well for the time being :-).

Anyways I digress and still need to up date vitals so here goes -
  • Pulse on waking - 42
  • Weight this evening - 70.5kg (the 500g difference from yesterday not to worry)
  • Energy levels fine and no flagging.
Running together - while deciding what to do with pumpkins - stride for stride on a life changing ride! -- Sean Muller

1 comment:

  1. The good thing about pumpkin is that it is very sweet and full of flavour, 2 things you will probably miss somewhat this week.

    Roast some (medium heat) and add to the cooked frozen veg and mix with the pasta

    Basic Pumpkin soup - pumpkin, lentils, water, boil until all mushy, blend if that's allowed or mash manually, add some milk for some added richness. Left over soup could be tossed through cooked pasta

    Lentils, roast pumpkin and tuna for a warm salad

    Scoop out the seeds, clean them up and roast them in a low oven

    At a stretch you could roast a couple of slices of the pumpkin and slap on some peanut butter, I reckon that would be reasonable palatable, not quite gado gado but in the spirit of the dish.

    With the exception of the soup leave the skin on, added fibre and zinc

    That's the best I can do without herbs and spices

    Instead of tuna, an onion, some garlic and a small knob of ginger would have made you a nice hearty dhal with the lentils and pumpkin that would've seen you though quite a few meals.

    Being a vegetarian and having lived on a food budget of $30 a week when I was a student adaptable is my middle name.

    Keep up the great work this week!

    ReplyDelete