Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Sunday, July 10, 2011

So today marks the last day that I will be eating on $2 a day as part of my Live Below the Line Challenge. It has definitely been a mixed week for me and the past day has been quite emotional. Last night during my evening meditation, I was pondering many things and again this morning while on my run and at the gym.


Have I done enough/am I doing enough in this life to leave things in better shape for the next generation? Are there areas that I have neglected and where can I make adjustments to assist my community, family, friends and my beloved running fraternity to a greater extent? How can I live smarter and not harder?

The clincher came this morning as I watched a program where a young kid in India was being interviewed about his future aspirations (he was born into poverty on the streets) and he said his first goal was to be a good human being... Now how a 5 year old kid thinks of that is beyond me and then it struck me that what he was saying was so true. The past week has reinforced to me that even my worst day is still much better than so many others on their best day and I have so much to be thankful for.

Vitals for the day and end of week:

Waking pulse – 43

Weight – 69KG

Body fat – 9%

Blood pressure – normal

Sleep patterns last night – interrupted as had plenty on my mind

Food for the day

Breakfast – oats and milk

Lunch – leftover tuna and veggies from last night

Dinner – will be oats and milk

Learnings I take away from the week of voluntarily eating at $2 a day:

 It is possible – not the most exciting way of eating, but I have not died either.

 We can all reduce our food bills if we try (I only spent $35 for this coming weeks shopping – felt really minted). It takes a bit of thinking and creativity.

 I am so blessed beyond belief in having so many great friends and family who have shown so much support to me and offered to help.

 The kindness of strangers is not to be underestimated as so many people have offered to take me in and feed me or deliver food if I was starving.

 Most of us are never really alone in this world.

 I will think more and plan more around my shopping to see if I really need to buy certain things or not.

Thank you so much for all your support.

Running together – stride for stride on a life changing ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment