Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Apparel advances

Strange how science has also changed how we dress when heading out to run.

Cotton tshirts have been replaced with maxi dry sweat wicking synthetic shorts and singlets such that pretty soon a garment will be invented that will also be able to cook your dinner.

I admit that I have given into a lot of the hype for various reasons – I wear the tri shorts for comfort and the compression gear for recovery.

It amazes me that people were able to run such great times in the 60s, 70s and 80s without modern gear. Even more amazing was a story that I read about Bill Rodgers and one of his Boston wins. He had forgotten to pack his shorts and so went round the neighbours place and borrowed a pair of cotton gym shorts from their son. Nevermind that they did not fit correctly, he still went on to win the race regardless.

Keen to hear about outrageous purchases you have made. I have tried out the running skirt, but not converted on its merits for men. – Sean Muller

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Sean, found your blog the other day on CoolRunning I think and quite enjoy your posts. I've only come to the "running" side in the last 12 months and am now in training for my first half marathon - perhaps foolishly, but anyhoo :) I feel like I've got all the gizmos and gadgets for running now - Spibelt to hold my iPod, compression gear for recovery, Garmin 405cx, Runner's World subscription...the running skirt has caught my eye, but then, I am a girl, hehe. Anyway, keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete