Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Saturday, August 7, 2010

Running memories

This week I experienced one of the most beautiful things that one can as a runner or sportsperson.

I was walking to get some of my groceries and passed a sports field where a local junior school was having an inter house athletics meeting. The memories of my childhood came flooding back and I could not but stop and watch some of the events.

Suddenly I was 10 again and running the anchor leg of the 4x100m relay. The baton would reach my right hand and I was off like a shot barrelling down the home straight with the cold, rarefied and polluted Johannesburg winter air burning my throat and lungs.

Those were the days of barefoot running and the time when winning meant everything to me. There was nothing more satisfying than being greeted by your friends and family on the finish line knowing that you had hauled in the others in the race and brought victory for you, your school and your mates.

The kids I was watching did not seem to have much of the competitive spirit that I remember from childhood and perhaps this is because so many experts have written about it is unhealthy to encourage winning and losing at school sport - with some advocating the scrapping of this altogether. This notion is rubbish in my eyes and learning to win and lose is important from a young age.

Still one youngster stood out from the rest. The gun for an 800m event went off and away the kids ran being chased by a slightly awkward running little fellow at the back. I later learned this kid was only 4 and not even part of the school.

Long story short he hauled in all but three of the older kids in the two lap event (not bad in his little duffle coat and boots) and ended up looking in better shape than loads at the finish.

His mum had been chasing him to pull him out of the race, but gave up as she could not keep up and luckily the teachers just let him continue. The little fellow just wanted to run and as I told his mum afterwards she should just let him run if he wants to. He may be slightly awkward and untrained etc, but the passion and the spirit is definitely there and on that day while his mates were playing in the sandbox that little boy got up and spontaneously ran 800m. A marvellous achievement for him and a sight that will sit with me till I depart this earth.

For those with kids, please share the following with them – ‘To play the sport is great, to win the sport is greater, but to enjoy the sport is by far the greatest. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment