Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Monday, August 23, 2010

Progress on Paleo

Many of the regular readers on this blog have asked me to post an update on how I have been tracking since embarking on the paleo eating plan.

Thus far I have not been able to run very much due to the ankle issues – City to Surf being the exception, but then travelling at 4.15/km was quite pedestrian and nothing to get excited about. I have indeed noticed some changes though and detail these below.

Weight has remained under the 70kg mark (mainly around 69kgs but also as low as 66kg two weeks ago). This is good and I believe this to be my natural optimal weight as I ran my fastest marathon at this weight. I have not found that I have lost any strength though and can still lift weights at the gym.

I have not been quite as good as I planned in terms of avoiding coffee altogether and find that some days one is just what is needed to get me going. I continue to progress with the green tea, drinking 2 cups a day and have found this to have a profoundly calming and cleansing effect on me. This I complement each evening by one cup of rooibos tea – plenty of anti-oxidants in the day.

I have also been making sure I drink a glass or two of milk or Sustegon Sports meal replacement drink – I know these are not part of caveman’s diet and in essence cheating, but I rationalise that I need the extra calcium to repair my bone.

Takeaways of any sort are gone – used to have once a week a pad thai, but that is now gone.
Thoughts are clearer and more focused (although these were never really bad), but then this could be down to a number of factors- no alcohol, power balance, meditation etc.

There has been no lack of energy levels. Body feels ‘lighter’ and ‘cleaner’ – no bad thing really.

Discipline is required, but I am intent on sticking to things and will keep you updated. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment