Uncover your inner athlete!

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten.. Each morning in Africa a lion awakes - it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve.


No matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up you had better be running!



Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Injury update

As mentioned, this blog is not intended to glorify me in any way, but in answer to some questions and concerns about my injury, I thought I would update a short piece on it today.

I went to see the sports doctor today that my physio had recommended. He did a thorough analysis and is sending me to get an MRI tomorrow afternoon to find out exactly what is happening. Stress fracture is unlikely according to him and more than likely it is a strain of the muscles around the ankle or some bruising. Either way we will know tomorrow.

Good news is that the doctor ordered me to run this evening even if there is pain as he feels that this will cause whatever is aggravating me to show up better on the scan.

Off I went then on my favourite 6km training loop after saying some prayers – no strapping, no double socking and no painkillers. No pain 1km in and I decided to open things up abit, 2km no pain again and further opening up till I ran the last mile at 3.40/km and felt good at the end of it.

So glad to be back doing the most natural thing that we can do. I will keep up the rehabilitation exercises and cheat moves shown to me by the physio and keep in mind that it is not down to me, rather to my higher power, the doctors, chia and hot and cold therapy experiments.

If you can tolerate it then try a sauna followed by an ice bath to help rehab. Saunas are supposed to be excellent to keep the muscles supple and the lungs clear and were a favourite tool of Nurmi and co in the 1920s. Also great for hot weather training for those who don’t like running in the heat. Nothing like learning from the past. – Sean Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment